On the day their second album With The Beatles was released, the group performed the 18th date of their 1963 Autumn Tour at the Globe Cinema in Stockton-on-Tees. It was also the day that John F Kennedy was shot in Dallas, Texas.
Their setlist throughout the tour contained 10 songs: ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘From Me To You’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘You Really Got A Hold On Me’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Boys’, ‘Till There Was You’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Money (That’s What I Want)’ and ‘Twist And Shout’.
The Beatles returned to the Globe on one subsequent occasion, 15 October 1964.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Estádio do Morumbi, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2008: The Vatican forgives Lennon for Jesus remarks
- 1989: Paul McCartney interviewed in New York City
- 1968: UK album release: The Beatles (White Album)
- 1967: Tape copying: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise), Nowhere Man
- 1963: UK album release: With The Beatles
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg – The Beatles perform without George Harrison
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.