Paul McCartney, along with Linda and the band, arrived in New York on this day. He held a press conference at the Lyceum Theater, along with a series of interviews, to publicise his forthcoming US live dates.
One of the interviews was given to Dennis Michael of CNN. Towards the end of the footage he talks about The Long And Winding Road, the film project that later became the Anthology series. McCartney speaks of the possibility of recording new music with George Harrison and Ringo Starr.
McCartney also gave an interview to Scott Muni for the NYC radio programme World Of Rock. An extract from the press conference was also broadcast on the Los Angeles radio station KLOS-FM.
The US leg of McCartney's tour began the following day, at the Los Angeles Forum, California. It ended on 15 December at Madison Square Garden, New York.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Estádio do Morumbi, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2008: The Vatican forgives Lennon for Jesus remarks
- 1968: UK album release: The Beatles (White Album)
- 1967: Tape copying: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise), Nowhere Man
- 1963: Live: Globe Cinema, Stockton-on-Tees
- 1963: UK album release: With The Beatles
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg – The Beatles perform without George Harrison
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.