The Beatles performed their 28th evening show at the Cavern Club on this date.
They topped a bill which also featured Gerry and the Pacemakers, and Earl Preston and the TTs. Overall this was The Beatles’ 84th appearance at the Mathew Street venue, including their numerous lunchtime shows.
I had started to write songs in the TTs. They weren’t much good but it was something I wanted to do. We did one called Sweet Love on stage. Paul McCartney used to call me Wee George as I was smaller than George Harrison and he said, ‘That was good, Wee George, I didn’t realise you wrote songs.’ I said that I’d only written a couple and he said, ‘We’ve written a few but we don’t think that they’re good enough to do on stage.’
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Estádio do Morumbi, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2008: The Vatican forgives Lennon for Jesus remarks
- 1989: Paul McCartney interviewed in New York City
- 1968: UK album release: The Beatles (White Album)
- 1967: Tape copying: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise), Nowhere Man
- 1963: Live: Globe Cinema, Stockton-on-Tees
- 1963: UK album release: With The Beatles
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg – The Beatles perform without George Harrison
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.