Produced by Starr, and recorded at his home studio Roccabella West, What’s My Name features guest musicians including Paul McCartney, Joe Walsh, Edgar Winter, and Steve Lukather.
It sold better than Starr’s other recent albums, and broke the top 40 in the Czech Republic, Germany, and Spain. It fared less well in the UK and USA, however, peaking at 99 and 127 respectively.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at State Theater, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Veterans Memorial Arena, Jacksonville, Florida
- 2009: Rare Capitol Records staff-only pressing of Sgt Pepper discovered
- 1974: UK single release: Junior’s Farm by Paul McCartney and Wings
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono announce pregnancy
- 1968: Mixing, editing: Yellow Submarine film score
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: The Fool On The Hill, Hello, Goodbye
- 1965: Mixing: Drive My Car, In My Life, If I Needed Someone, Day Tripper, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown), Nowhere Man
- 1964: Live: Hippodrome, Brighton
- 1963: Live: Sundsta Läroverk, Karlstad, Sweden
- 1962: Radio: Here We Go
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.