While The Beatles were abroad on holiday, George Martin overdubbed a piano part onto ‘You Can’t Do That’.
The session began at 10am and lasted just one hour. Martin’s piano part was added onto take nine, which was subsequently renamed take 10. Despite his efforts, however, the overdub was never used.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
- 2012: Abbey Road outtake photograph sells for £16,000
- 2011: Paul McCartney live: Estádio Olímpico João Havelange, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1992: US album release: Time Takes Time by Ringo Starr
- 1980: John Lennon’s to-do list at the Dakota
- 1969: Ringo Starr flies from New York to the Bahamas
- 1968: John and Yoko attend press launch of Apple Tailoring
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Ipswich
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.