The sun's there if you want to go and get it - I don't give a damn about the sun. You go out to these places and waste your time lying on the beach; I did it with George for three weeks. We were as brown as berries and we got home and it had gone the next day, so what's the point? I didn't feel any healthier - I was dead beat.
The return journey involved a stop-over in Los Angeles, before the group departed for London.
The holiday was fantastic, but after four weeks we'd had enough. By now we'd drifted further and further from Tahiti and didn't relish the thought of a long boat ride home, so we hopped on a flying boat and went back and spent a day around Tahiti. We then caught a Pan Am 707 coming from New Zealand which took us to Los Angeles. The four of us were the only passengers on the plane and I remember lying on the floor, sleeping, as we had so much space to ourselves. In Los Angeles we went on a bus trip that took us around Sunset Strip, Beverly Hills and all the stars' homes: 'On your left is Jayne Mansfield's house,' and all that.
We were only back in London for about a week before we left for Denmark, Holland, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand on tour. Soon we were back about a stone's throw away from where we'd just been in Tahiti.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at FedExForum, Memphis, Tennessee
- 1969: John and Yoko’s second bed-in for peace: Montreal
- 1969: US album release: Unfinished Music No.2: Life With The Lions by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1969: US album release: Electronic Sound by George Harrison
- 1966: Recording: Yellow Submarine
- 1965: The Beatles (Invite You To Take A Ticket To Ride) – the final BBC radio session
- 1963: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Town Hall, Forres, Scotland
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.