On 16 May 1969, Ringo Starr, his wife Maureen and various members of the cast and crew of the film The Magic Christian set sail for New York on board the Queen Elizabeth 2 luxury liner. On this day they docked in New York.
With principal photography on the film recently completed, the holiday laid on by Commonwealth United by way of thanks to the cast and crew for finishing on time and on budget.
Also on board were the film’s co-star Peter Sellers, director Joe McGrath, producer Denis O’Dell, their respective wives and Apple’s press officer Derek Taylor.
The party did not remain in New York for long; on this same day they flew to the Bahamas, where they spent two weeks in the sun.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
- 2012: Abbey Road outtake photograph sells for £16,000
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Estádio Olímpico João Havelange, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1980: John Lennon’s to-do list at the Dakota
- 1968: John and Yoko attend press launch of Apple Tailoring
- 1964: Recording: You Can’t Do That
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Ipswich
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.