The press, full of rumours that the couple were expecting their first child together, reported that they were to go to the south of France. In fact, they travelled to the Greek island, where they stayed in the village of Benitses.
While there, McCartney completed the song Every Night, an early version of which he had performed in January 1969 during the Get Back/Let It Be sessions.
They returned to England from Corfu on 17 June 1969.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Ringo Starr sets sail for New York on board the QE2
- 1968: John Lennon and Paul McCartney return from promoting Apple in New York
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Taxman, For No One
- 1963: Television: Pops And Lenny
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.