The press, full of rumours that the couple were expecting their first child together, reported that they were to go to the south of France. In fact, they travelled to the Greek island, where they stayed in the village of Benitses.
They returned to England from Corfu on 17 June 1969.
Also on this day...
- 1980: UK album release: McCartney II by Paul McCartney
- 1977: US album release: Thrillington by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Ringo Starr sets sail for New York on board the QE2
- 1968: John Lennon and Paul McCartney return from promoting Apple in New York
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Taxman, For No One
- 1963: Television: Pops And Lenny
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.