This was The Beatles’ 33rd of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 1980: UK album release: McCartney II by Paul McCartney
- 1977: US album release: Thrillington by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Paul and Linda McCartney holiday in Corfu
- 1969: Ringo Starr sets sail for New York on board the QE2
- 1968: John Lennon and Paul McCartney return from promoting Apple in New York
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Taxman, For No One
- 1963: Television: Pops And Lenny
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.