They flew with Ono’s daughter Kyoko and Apple publicist Derek Taylor, and a two-man film crew, Nic Knowland and Mike Lax.
An excess baggage charge of £500 was charged upon their arrival, owing to the 26 items of luggage they brought – most of which was related to the filming.
The Bahamas is the nearest we can get to America without a visa. We’ll beam broadcasts from there, and hope they change their minds about us…
We want to go to the States to give acorns to Nixon for peace. We want to give them to representatives at the United Nations.
Lennon and Ono were intending to hold the bed-in at the Sheraton Oceanus Hotel in Freeport, which they had booked into under the name Shammers.
After changing planes at Bermuda and Nassau, they arrived in Freeport, but decided the layout of the Sheraton-Oceanus South Hotel were not suitable to stage a bed-in. The following day they flew to Toronto, Canada.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at O2 Arena, London
- 2010: Paul McCartney to receive Gershwin Prize at the White House
- 1968: Demo recordings for the White Album
- 1967: The Beatles watch Procol Harum perform in London
- 1963: Live: Granada Cinema, Walthamstow, London
- 1963: Radio: Pop Go The Beatles
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1962: Recording: Sweet Georgia Brown, Swanee River
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.