This was The Beatles' 39th of 48 nights at Hamburg's Star-Club, the city's newest rock 'n' roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles' third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
- 2012: Abbey Road outtake photograph sells for £16,000
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Estádio Olímpico João Havelange, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1980: John Lennon’s to-do list at the Dakota
- 1969: Ringo Starr flies from New York to the Bahamas
- 1968: John and Yoko attend press launch of Apple Tailoring
- 1964: Recording: You Can’t Do That
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Ipswich
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.