Living at the Dakota Building in New York City, John Lennon wrote a to-do list on this day for his assistant Fred Seaman.
The list gives an insight into the often mundane concerns that occasionally filled Lennon’s thoughts during his househusband period, as well as some tantalisingly cryptic notes.
Written in black ink on 8.5×11.25″ yellow lined paper, it includes requests for books, a hook on the bathroom door, herbs for the cat, having the cars filled with fuel, replacing Sean Lennon’s mattress and waiting for the HBO repair man to arrive.
When he arrives YOU let him in … you tell him what to do. Yesterday they made an offer to attach F.M. radio (or something) — I’m not sure what they meant — but I suspect it would improve F.M. Radio reception — find out — maybe we do want it (I didn’t know what he was talking about).
The list was auctioned in December 2011 by the Gotta Have Rock and Roll website. Bidding started at $3,000 and was expected to go for between $4,000 and $5,000, but surpassed expectations and ended at $16,696.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
- 2012: Abbey Road outtake photograph sells for £16,000
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Estádio Olímpico João Havelange, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1992: US album release: Time Takes Time by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Ringo Starr flies from New York to the Bahamas
- 1968: John and Yoko attend press launch of Apple Tailoring
- 1964: Recording: You Can’t Do That
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Ipswich
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.