This was the ninth date of The Beatles' second residency at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany, situated on Große Freiheit off the Reeperbahn.
The Beatles performed for three and a half hours each night, for which they were each paid 600DM (£53.50) a week. On occasion they shared a bill with Little Richard, whom they had performed with in Liverpool the previous month.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Love Me Do drummer Andy White dies
- 2011: Good Ol’ Freda: documentary on Beatles fan club secretary secures funding
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1965: Editing, mixing: The Beatles’ Third Christmas Record, Michelle, What Goes On, Run For Your Life, Think For Yourself
- 1964: Live: City Hall, Sheffield
- 1963: Live: Granada Cinema, East Ham, London
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime) – Brian Epstein meets The Beatles
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.