This was the final date of The Beatles’ second residency at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany. The club was situated on Große Freiheit off the Reeperbahn.
We went in November and in December. I don’t know where we stayed that final time. It’s hazy, to say the least. The staying wasn’t important, the living was cool. It was fairly crazy; I’d been there with Rory Storm, and I’d been separately to play with Tony Sheridan (I’d played with him for a month) and I was back this time with The Beatles, and it really felt good. It was becoming like home.
Little Richard played the Star-Club with Billy Preston. Billy was sixteen and he was fabulous; still it. I watched Little Richard twice a night for six days: it was so great. he did show off a bit in front of us – he’d want to know we were in the wings; he’d heard of us by that time.
We were only twenty-two and we still loved the Preludins and we still liked to drink and we could get away with anything as long as we went on and played. The only thing that the Germans wouldn’t tolerate was your not going on stage, and you could go on (and we did) in several states of mind.
During this trip they performed for a total of 49 hours on stage. The residency began on 1 November 1962 and ended 14 days later on this date.
The Beatles performed for three and a half hours each night, for which they were each paid 600DM (£53.50) a week. On occasion they shared a bill with Little Richard, whom they had performed with in Liverpool the previous month.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live: Minute Maid Park, Houston
- 2009: Sgt Pepper to be released as downloadable content for The Beatles: Rock Band
- 1969: Recording: Stardust, Dream by Ringo Starr
- 1969: UK album release: Wedding Album by John & Yoko
- 1964: Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Exeter
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Merseyside Civil Service Club, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.