The Beatles were not present for this mono and stereo mixing session overseen by George Martin. Five recordings were prepared for release, including the group's third fan club message.
The first task was editing the three takes of The Beatles' Third Christmas Record, which were made the night before. Martin and balance engineer Norman Smith then created mono mixes of Michelle, What Goes On, Run For Your Life, Think For Yourself and the Christmas recording. The mono mix of Michelle was redone on 15 November.
Following this stereo mixes of Think For Yourself, Michelle and What Goes On were made. The session lasted from 2.30-5.30pm.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Love Me Do drummer Andy White dies
- 2011: Good Ol’ Freda: documentary on Beatles fan club secretary secures funding
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1964: Live: City Hall, Sheffield
- 1963: Live: Granada Cinema, East Ham, London
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime) – Brian Epstein meets The Beatles
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.