This was the 30th and penultimate performance given by The Beatles at Aintree Institute, which was situated at Longmoor Lane in Aintree, Liverpool. It was put on by Brian Kelly for his Beekay Promotions.
The Beatles played at Aintree Institute on 31 occasions, between this date and January 1962. The other dates were 7, 13, 14, 18, 21, 27 and 28 January; 8, 10, 15, 18, 22 and 25 February; 1, 4, 8 and 11 March; 21 and 28 July; 4, 12, 18, 19 and 26 August; 2, 9, 16 and 23 September; 28 October; and 27 January 1962.
Aintree Institute was a popular jive club in the early 1960s. It was situated behind the Black Bull club, near to the famous racecourse where the annual Grand National horse race takes place, but was demolished in 2007.
Following this show The Beatles attended a party at the Liverpool Jazz Society in Temple Street. It was held by promoter Sam Leach to celebrate the success of the previous night's Operation Big Beat show at the Tower Ballroom in New Brighton, which The Beatles had headlined.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Scottrade Center, St Louis
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at River Plate Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1968: US album release: Two Virgins by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1965: Recording, mixing: The Word, You Won’t See Me, Girl, Wait, I’m Looking Through You
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1956: Paul McCartney watches Lonnie Donegan perform in Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.