This was the 11th performance given by The Beatles at Aintree Institute, which was situated at Longmoor Lane in Aintree, Liverpool. It was put on by Brian Kelly for his Beekay Promotions.
The Beatles played at Aintree Institute on 31 occasions, between this date and January 1962. The other dates were 7, 13, 14, 18, 21, 27 and 28 January; 8, 10, 15, 22 and 25 February; 1, 4, 8 and 11 March; 21 and 28 July; 4, 12, 18, 19 and 26 August; 2, 9, 16 and 23 September; 28 October; 11 November 1961; and 27 January 1962.
Aintree Institute was a popular jive club in the early 1960s. It was situated behind the Black Bull club, near to the famous racecourse where the annual Grand National horse race takes place, but was demolished in 2007.
The Beatles had also been booked to play on this evening at the Casanova Club in Liverpool, but the show was rescheduled to 28 February.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Sunrise Theater, Fort Pierce, FL, USA
- 1974: UK single release: Jet by Paul McCartney and Wings
- 1972: Wings live at Salford University
- 1970: Recording, mixing: It Don’t Come Easy by Ringo Starr
- 1970: Recording, mixing: Have I Told You Lately That I Love You, Let The Rest Of The World Go By by Ringo Starr
- 1965: Recording, mixing: Ticket To Ride, Another Girl, I Need You, Yes It Is, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, The Night Before, You Like Me Too Much, If You’ve Got Trouble, Tell Me What You See
- 1965: Northern Songs is floated on the stock exchange
- 1964: The Beatles meet Cassius Clay
- 1963: Live: Queen’s Hall, Widnes
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1933: Yoko Ono is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.