Back In The US was released in the USA and Japan, followed in March 2003 by an international version, Back In The World.
The album entered the US Billboard 200 at number eight, with first-week sales of 224,000 copies, and charted at number four on the Japanese Oricon Albums Chart.
In Best Buy stores, the album was sold with a bonus DVD single of ‘Matchbox’.
A companion DVD was released, also titled Back In The US, with a slightly amended tracklisting and backstage footage. When played on a computer, the DVD gave access to a restricted section of McCartney’s website which contained soundcheck footage recorded on 16 December 2002. The material has since been bootlegged as The Secret Website Show.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Scottrade Center, St Louis
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at River Plate Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1968: US album release: Two Virgins by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1965: Recording, mixing: The Word, You Won’t See Me, Girl, Wait, I’m Looking Through You
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1956: Paul McCartney watches Lonnie Donegan perform in Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.