This was the ninth performance given by The Beatles at Aintree Institute, which was situated at Longmoor Lane in Aintree, Liverpool. It was put on by Brian Kelly for his Beekay Promotions.
The Beatles played at Aintree Institute on 31 occasions, between this date and January 1962. The other dates were 7, 13, 14, 18, 21, 27 and 28 January; 8, 15, 18, 22 and 25 February; 1, 4, 8 and 11 March; 21 and 28 July; 4, 12, 18, 19 and 26 August; 2, 9, 16 and 23 September; 28 October; 11 November 1961; and 27 January 1962.
Aintree Institute was a popular jive club in the early 1960s. It was situated behind the Black Bull club, near to the famous racecourse where the annual Grand National horse race takes place, but was demolished in 2007.
After this show The Beatles and Neil Aspinall drove to Lathom Hall in Liverpool for their second performance of the night.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney wins Grammy Award for Kisses On The Bottom
- 2012: Paul McCartney honoured at MusiCares Person Of The Year gala
- 1972: Wings live: York University
- 1970: Recording, mixing: Dream by Ringo Starr
- 1970: Mixing: Instant Karma! by Plastic Ono Band
- 1967: Recording: A Day In The Life
- 1964: Interviews: Associated Press and CBS News
- 1962: Live: St Paul’s Presbyterian Church Hall, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Lathom Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.