This was The Beatles’ ninth performance at Lathom Hall in Seaforth, Liverpool.
It was booked by Brian Kelly, who ran Beekay Promotions in a number of Liverpool venues including Litherland Town Hall, Alexandra Hall and the Aintree Institute. The Beatles performed at numerous Beekay shows in their early days. Earlier this evening they had played at another of his events, at the Aintree Institute.
The Beatles performed at Lathom Hall on 11 occasions, although the first, on 14 May 1960 was as The Silver Beats. The other dates were 7, 20, 21, 28 and 30 January; and 4, 6, 11 and 25 February 1961.
Lathom Hall was built in 1884 as a social club, and was situated in the Seaforth district of Liverpool. It later became a cinema, face cream factory, and stained glass window workshop, before becoming a dance hall in the 1950s.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney wins Grammy Award for Kisses On The Bottom
- 2012: Paul McCartney honoured at MusiCares Person Of The Year gala
- 1972: Wings live: York University
- 1970: Recording, mixing: Dream by Ringo Starr
- 1970: Mixing: Instant Karma! by Plastic Ono Band
- 1967: Recording: A Day In The Life
- 1964: Interviews: Associated Press and CBS News
- 1962: Live: St Paul’s Presbyterian Church Hall, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.