This was the 23rd performance given by The Beatles at Aintree Institute, which was situated at Longmoor Lane in Aintree, Liverpool.
It was put on by Brian Kelly, who ran Beekay Promotions in Liverpool, and was the second of seven consecutive Saturday night bookings for The Beatles at the venue.
The Beatles played at Aintree Institute on 31 occasions, between this date and January 1962. The other dates were 7, 13, 14, 18, 21, 27 and 28 January; 8, 10, 15, 18, 22 and 25 February; 1, 4, 8 and 11 March; 21 and 28 July; 4, 12, 18 and 26 August; 2, 9, 16 and 23 September; 28 October; 11 November 1961; and 27 January 1962.
Aintree Institute was a popular jive club in the early 1960s. It was situated behind the Black Bull club, near to the famous racecourse where the annual Grand National horse race takes place, but was demolished in 2007.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh
- 1969: Recording, mixing: The End, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, Something, Here Comes The Sun
- 1967: Jason Starkey is born
- 1966: Live: Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis
- 1965: Live: Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston
- 1964: Live: Cow Palace, San Francisco
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.