Sir Paul McCartney performed the first of two shows at the Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, as part of his Up And Coming Tour.
The concert lasted nearly three hours. McCartney opened with Venus And Mars/Rock Show, which contains the lines: “You’ve got rock and roll at the Hollywood Bowl/We’ll be there, oh yeah”.
The Beatles performed three triumphant shows at the venue in 1964 and 1965, which were recorded by Capitol Records. Highlights from the recordings were released in 1977 as The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl.
The first time we came here, we were little kids. It looks like that now. Then, we thought we were great big men… You couldn’t hear anything we were singing because of the girls screaming.
Unlike his previous concert in Glendale, Arizona, McCartney didn’t perform Every Night, and Letting Go was brought forward towards the start of the show.
- Venus And Mars/Rock Show
- ‘All My Loving’
- Letting Go
- ‘Got To Get You Into My Life’
- Let Me Roll It
- ‘The Long And Winding Road’
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five
- (I Want To) Come Home
- My Love
- ‘I’m Looking Through You’
- ‘Two Of Us’
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Mrs Vandebilt
- ‘Eleanor Rigby’
- Sing The Changes
- Band On The Run
- ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’
- ‘Back In The USSR’
- ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’
- ‘Paperback Writer’
- ‘A Day In The Life’/‘Give Peace A Chance’
- ‘Let It Be’
- Live And Let Die
- ‘Hey Jude’
Also on this day...
- 1970: Mixing: For You Blue
- 1967: Recording: With A Little Help From My Friends
- 1967: Cover shoot for Sgt Pepper
- 1965: Recording: That Means A Lot, You’re Going To Lose That Girl
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1963: Live: Guildhall, Portsmouth
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.