‘With A Little Help From My Friends’, which was begun on the previous day, was completed in this session. Overdubs were added to track two of the tape, beginning with snare drum and timpani in the introduction, and bass guitar (played by Paul McCartney), lead guitar (George Harrison) and tambourine (Ringo Starr) during the main part of the song.
A previous day’s lead vocal track was then erased and replaced with vocal harmonies by McCartney and John Lennon, and a guitar fill prior to the second verse. Organ and vocal overdubs for the “Billy Shears” introduction were added to tracks three and four to complete the song.
The session ended at 7.30am on the morning of 31 March. Later that day the song was mixed in mono.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at the Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
- 1970: Mixing: For You Blue
- 1967: Cover shoot for Sgt Pepper
- 1965: Recording: That Means A Lot, You’re Going To Lose That Girl
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Brian Epstein commissions Derek Taylor to ghostwrite A Cellarful Of Noise
- 1963: Live: Guildhall, Portsmouth
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.