As with the previous night’s show, tickets retailed for $3, $4, $5, $6 and $7. For the two concerts The Beatles earned $90,000 from the total gate receipts of $156,000.
The Beatles performed the same 12-song setlist as on the previous night: their short version of ‘Twist And Shout’, followed by ‘She’s A Woman’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzy’, ‘Ticket To Ride’, ‘Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby’, ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby’s In Black’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘A Hard Day’s Night’, ‘Help!’ and ‘I’m Down’.
The other acts on the bill were, in order of appearance, King Curtis Band, Sounds Incorporated and the Discotheque Dancers, Brenda Holloway, and Cannibal & The Headhunters.
As with the 1964 concert, the two August 1965 performances were recorded by Capitol Records. Five songs from this date – Twist And Shout, She’s A Woman, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Can’t Buy Me Love and A Hard Day’s Night – were included on the 1977 album The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl. Dizzy Miss Lizzy was a composite edit of the 29 and 30 August performances.
The performance of Baby’s In Black was also included on the 1996 single ‘Real Love’, preceded by John Lennon’s spoken introduction from the 29 August performance. The Hollywood Bowl recordings were also used to bulk up the sound of the film The Beatles At Shea Stadium, and were incorporated into the soundtrack on 5 January 1966.
After the concert The Beatles held a pool-side party for around a dozen reporters who had accompanied them on the North America tour. The final stop took place the following night at San Francisco’s Cow Palace.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney urges Scots to vote No to independence
- 1972: John Lennon live at Madison Square Garden, New York
- 1969: John Lennon and Ringo Starr travel to the Isle of Wight to see Bob Dylan
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Dear Prudence
- 1968: UK single release: Hey Jude
- 1966: Travel: Los Angeles to London
- 1964: Live: Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1963: Television: The Mersey Sound
- 1962: Live: Riverpark Ballroom, Chester
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.