This was The Beatles’ final performance at the Village Hall on East Prestcot Road, Knotty Ash, Liverpool.
The show was billed as a “St Patrick’s Night Rock Gala”, and was promoted by Sam Leach. Leach had taken over the venue after Mona Best, mother of Pete Best, declined to continue promoting beat music events there.
The Beatles headlined, with support from Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. The event was also a fundraiser for Leach’s engagement party, which took place afterwards in Huyton. The Beatles and the Hurricanes both attended the party, which continued until the following afternoon.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Blue plaque for Lennon and Harrison unveiled at the Apple Boutique building
- 2009: Struggling Penny Lane businesses ask for help
- 2009: Ringo to release book of Beatles photographs?
- 2003: Album release: Back In The World by Paul McCartney
- 1968: Pattie Harrison celebrates her 24th birthday in India
- 1967: Recording: She’s Leaving Home
- 1965: Filming: Help!, Austria
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Embassy Cinema, Peterborough
- 1961: Live: Liverpool Jazz Society, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Mossway Hall, Liverpool
- 1944: Pattie Boyd is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.