The Beatles filmed two scenes for A Hard Day’s Night at the exclusive private members’ club Les Ambassadeurs in London. The first was on this day, and the second took place on 17 April 1964.
This first scene primarily featured Paul McCartney’s grandfather, played by Wilfrid Brambell, gambling at a poker table in ‘Le Circle’. Here he is with actress and glamour model Margaret Nolan.
While at the club, BBC journalist Jack de Manio interviewed John Lennon about his forthcoming book In His Own Write. The interview was first broadcast the following day from 7.15-7.45am, on the Home Service programme Today.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Blue plaque for Lennon and Harrison unveiled at the Apple Boutique building
- 2009: Struggling Penny Lane businesses ask for help
- 2009: Ringo to release book of Beatles photographs?
- 2003: Album release: Back In The World by Paul McCartney
- 1968: Pattie Harrison celebrates her 24th birthday in India
- 1967: Recording: She’s Leaving Home
- 1965: Filming: Help!, Austria
- 1963: Live: Embassy Cinema, Peterborough
- 1962: Live: Knotty Ash Village Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Liverpool Jazz Society, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Mossway Hall, Liverpool
- 1944: Pattie Boyd is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.