This was the second and final day of filming at the exclusive London private members’ club Les Ambassadeurs, following an earlier shoot on 17 March 1964.
During a break in filming, The Beatles also gave an interview to US TV host Ed Sullivan in the club’s walled garden. Lasting just one minute and 34 seconds, the chat was included in the 24 May 1964 edition of The Ed Sullivan Show, along with a clip of The Beatles miming to ‘You Can’t Do That’. The performance had been filmed in the Scala Theatre in London, but was later dropped from the final cut of A Hard Day’s Night.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live: Estadio Defensores del Chaco, Asunción, Paraguay
- 1970: UK album release: McCartney by Paul McCartney
- 1967: Mixing: Getting Better, She’s Leaving Home, When I’m Sixty-Four, Lovely Rita
- 1966: Recording: Doctor Robert
- 1963: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Luton
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.