The Beatles’ 24th evening show at the Cavern Club, the soon-to-be-legendary club on Liverpool’s Mathew Street, took place on this date.
The group headlined a bill which also included The Remo Four and Ian and the Zodiacs.
The Beatles were always going through songs in the band and didn’t mix with the other bands too much. On reflection, we might have been bigger if we’d spent more time writing songs and not gone to the pub.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Overall this was their 75th known appearance at the underground venue, including their more common lunchtime shows.
Also on this day...
- 1993: UK album release: Paul Is Live by Paul McCartney
- 1982: US album release: Gone Troppo by George Harrison
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1968: John and Cynthia Lennon are divorced
- 1966: Mixing: She Loves You
- 1965: Recording: Beatle Speech, Think For Yourself, The Beatles’ Third Christmas Record
- 1964: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool
- 1963: Live: Ritz Cinema, Belfast
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.