Room 53, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Engineer: Geoff Emerick
George Martin was not present for this third stereo mixing session for the UK compilation A Collection Of Beatles Oldies compilation, which was released on 9 December 1966, so balance engineer Geoff Emerick oversaw the work.
Two mixes of ‘She Loves You’ were made during a 90-minute session. The original two-track tapes had been destroyed shortly after the song was recorded, so Emerick created a mock stereo version by slashing the treble frequencies from the left channel and removing the bass from the right.
Also on this day...
- 1993: UK album release: Paul Is Live by Paul McCartney
- 1982: US album release: Gone Troppo by George Harrison
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1968: John and Cynthia Lennon are divorced
- 1965: Recording: Beatle Speech, Think For Yourself, The Beatles’ Third Christmas Record
- 1964: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool
- 1963: Live: Ritz Cinema, Belfast
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.