The Beatles have released Live At The Hollywood Bowl, an album of remixed and remastered recordings from 1964 and 1965.
The album is released to coincide with the Ron Howard documentary The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years, which promises a wealth of previously-unseen footage and photographs. A vinyl edition of the album will follow on 18 November 2016.
The new album – released on CD and digital download on 9 September, and on vinyl on 18 November – contains 17 songs: eight from the 1964 show, two from the first 1965 show, six from the second 1965 show, and a composite version of Dizzy Miss Lizzy from the two 1965 recordings (similar to the 1977 album).
Five songs from 30 August 1965 appeared on The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl: Twist And Shout, She’s A Woman, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Can’t Buy Me Love and A Hard Day’s Night. The album version of Dizzy Miss Lizzy was a composite edit incorporating parts of the 29 and 30 August performances.
The track listing on the 2016 album is almost identical to that of the 1977 album, aside from four extra tracks, three of which are previously unreleased.
- Twist And Shout (30 August 1965)
- She’s A Woman (30 August 1965)
- Dizzy Miss Lizzy (29/30 August 1965)
- Ticket To Ride (29 August 1965)
- Can’t Buy Me Love (30 August 1965)
- Things We Said Today (23 August 1964)
- Roll Over Beethoven (23 August 1964)
- Boys (23 August 1964)
- A Hard Day’s Night (30 August 1965)
- Help! (29 August 1965)
- All My Loving (23 August 1964)
- She Loves You (23 August 1964)
- Long Tall Sally (23 August 1964)
- You Can’t Do That (23 August 1964 – previously unreleased)
- I Want To Hold Your Hand (23 August 1964 – previously unreleased)
- Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby (30 August 1965 – previously unreleased)
- Baby’s In Black (30 August 1965 – previously released on the Real Love single, 1996)
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Century Center, South Bend, Indiana, USA
- 2014: The Art Of Paul McCartney tribute album announced
- 2014: The Beatles’ remastered mono vinyl collection gets worldwide release
- 2009: The Beatles’ mono and stereo remasters are released
- 1971: US album release: Imagine by John Lennon
- 1968: Recording: Helter Skelter
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.