The follow-up to the musically challenging John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band was a critical and commercial success, and was Lennon's peak as a solo artist.
Imagine was issued in the United Kingdom on 8 October 1971. It topped the charts on both sides of the Atlantic.
It was also the first Apple album release in quadrophonic, a four-channel system which was an early form of surround sound. The format was issued on LP and eight-track cartridge.
Also on this day...
- 2014: The Art Of Paul McCartney tribute album announced
- 2014: The Beatles’ remastered mono vinyl collection gets worldwide release
- 2009: The Beatles’ mono and stereo remasters are released
- 1968: Recording: Helter Skelter
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.