Sir Paul McCartney kicked off the South American leg of his Up And Coming Tour with a concert at the Estádio Beira Rio, Porto Alegre, Brazil before 66,000 people.
It was McCartney's first Brazilian concert since 1993. Prior to the venue opening, fans set up a makeshift camp on Wednesday night known as Paul McCartney Village.
The fans at the camp, some of whom dressed as their idol, passed the time by busking and listening to McCartney's music. Stadium workers added portable toilets as the numbers grew.
A spokesman for McCartney said of the village: "It was an amazing site to see. People had been camping out for days just to ensure they could get the best position possible."
The tour began on 28 March 2010 in Glendale, Arizona, and continued until August before McCartney and his band took a break. Other dates scheduled for November will take place in Buenos Aires in Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil.
I love South American audiences. I always think I have Latin blood because I connect so strongly with their love of music and their love of rhythm and their love of melody, so I always feel like I have a very big bond with South American people and Latin people in general. So yeah, I'm bonding, man!
Here's the performance of All My Loving from the Porto Alegre show:
- Venus And Mars/Rock Show
- All My Loving
- Letting Go
- Drive My Car
- Let Me Roll It
- The Long And Winding Road
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five
- Let 'Em In
- My Love
- I've Just Seen A Face
- And I Love Her
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Mrs Vandebilt
- Eleanor Rigby
- Ram On
- Sing The Changes
- Band On The Run
- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- Back In The USSR
- I've Got A Feeling
- Paperback Writer
- A Day In the Life/Give Peace A Chance
- Let It Be
- Live And Let Die
- Hey Jude
Also on this day...
- 2015: John Lennon’s Gibson J-160E guitar sells for $2.41 million
- 1993: George Harrison attends the Adelaide Grand Prix
- 1969: Recording: Stardust by Ringo Starr
- 1968: John Lennon writes A Short Essay On Macrobiotics
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: Blue Jay Way, Flying, Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: John Lennon meets Yoko Ono
- 1966: Mixing: I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 1964: Live: Capitol Cinema, Cardiff
- 1963: Live: Adelphi Cinema, Dublin, Ireland
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Merseyside Civil Service Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1957: Live: Wilson Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.