This was the first time the Quarrymen played at this notoriously rough venue in the Garston district of Liverpool.
This was one of promoter Charlie Mac’s ‘Rhythm Nights’, held every Thursday. The Quarrymen performed at Wilson Hall four times in total. The venue was a popular hangout for local Teddy boys.
Also on this day...
- 2019: Beatles photographer Robert Freeman dies
- 2015: John Lennon’s Gibson J-160E guitar sells for $2.41 million
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Estádio Beira Rio, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- 1993: George Harrison attends the Adelaide Grand Prix
- 1969: Recording: Stardust by Ringo Starr
- 1968: John Lennon writes A Short Essay On Macrobiotics
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: Blue Jay Way, Flying, Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: John Lennon meets Yoko Ono
- 1966: Mixing: I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 1964: Live: Capitol Cinema, Cardiff
- 1963: Live: Adelphi Cinema, Dublin, Ireland
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Merseyside Civil Service Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.