On this day George Harrison attended the Adelaide Grand Prix in Australia.
Harrison was a keen motor racing fan, and in 1979 released the song Faster about his love of the sport.
In Adelaide he gave an interview to a local news crew from Channel 9 who were covering the race.
The race was won by Brazilian driver Ayrton Senna (McLaren-Ford), followed by France’s Alain Prost (Williams-Renault) and the UK’s Damon Hill (Williams-Renault). The course was a temporary circuit in Victoria Park and the surrounding streets.
Also on this day...
- 2019: Beatles photographer Robert Freeman dies
- 2015: John Lennon’s Gibson J-160E guitar sells for $2.41 million
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Estádio Beira Rio, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- 1969: Recording: Stardust by Ringo Starr
- 1968: John Lennon writes A Short Essay On Macrobiotics
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: Blue Jay Way, Flying, Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: John Lennon meets Yoko Ono
- 1966: Mixing: I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 1964: Live: Capitol Cinema, Cardiff
- 1963: Live: Adelphi Cinema, Dublin, Ireland
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Merseyside Civil Service Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1957: Live: Wilson Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.