This was The Beatles’ second performance at the Merseyside Civil Service Club, on Lower Castle Street, Liverpool.
The club was situated in a city centre basement. It was normally open only to members, but guests could be admitted with permission for a charge of three shillings.
This was the first of four consecutive Tuesday night shows at the club by The Beatles. After this performance they played at more familiar surroundings, the Cavern Club on nearby Mathew Street.
Also on this day...
- 2019: Beatles photographer Robert Freeman dies
- 2015: John Lennon’s Gibson J-160E guitar sells for $2.41 million
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Estádio Beira Rio, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- 1993: George Harrison attends the Adelaide Grand Prix
- 1969: Recording: Stardust by Ringo Starr
- 1968: John Lennon writes A Short Essay On Macrobiotics
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: Blue Jay Way, Flying, Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: John Lennon meets Yoko Ono
- 1966: Mixing: I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 1964: Live: Capitol Cinema, Cardiff
- 1963: Live: Adelphi Cinema, Dublin, Ireland
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1957: Live: Wilson Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.