A somewhat bizarre booking for the nascent Quarrymen: they performed two raucous sets for the social club of Liverpool's Stanley Abattoir.
The event was a dance held for the members of the social club, which included employees of the huge slaughter house, meat porters, and their families.
This was a one-off booking for Quarrymen; they never subsequently performed at the social club. It's unlikely they minded too much.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Apple announces The Beatles on iTunes
- 2009: Paul McCartney awarded the third Gershwin Prize for Popular Song
- 1973: UK album release: Mind Games by John Lennon
- 1965: Paul McCartney compères for Gene Pitney
- 1965: George Martin decides the running order for Rubber Soul
- 1964: Television: Top Of The Pops
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens Theatre, Bournemouth
- 1962: Radio: The Friday Spectacular
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.