It was remixed in July 1984 at Sigma Sound Studios in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with Lennon’s part presented as lead vocals.
The remix was made for the Polydor album Every Man Has A Woman, a Yoko Ono tribute released for her 50th birthday, which featured a collection of her songs sung by performers including Harry Nilsson, Roberta Flack, Elvis Costello, and Sean Lennon.
The Lennon vocal version of ‘Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him’ was issued as a single in the USA on 5 October 1984, with Sean Lennon’s performance of ‘It’s Alright’ on the b-side. The catalog number was Polydor 881 387-7. The single peaked at number 55 in the charts.
The single was issued in the UK on 16 November as Polydor POSP 712. As with the album, it did not reach the charts in either the US or the UK.
The Lennon vocal version was the penultimate song on the 1990 four-CD box set Lennon. A new remix of the recording was included on the 2020 collection Gimme Some Truth.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Apple announces The Beatles on iTunes
- 2009: Paul McCartney awarded the third Gershwin Prize for Popular Song
- 1993: US album release: Paul Is Live by Paul McCartney
- 1973: UK album release: Mind Games by John Lennon
- 1973: UK single release: Mind Games by John Lennon
- 1965: Paul McCartney compères for Gene Pitney
- 1965: George Martin decides the running order for Rubber Soul
- 1964: Television: Top Of The Pops
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens Theatre, Bournemouth
- 1962: Radio: The Friday Spectacular
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1957: Live: Stanley Abattoir social club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.