Paul McCartney was the compère for a Gene Pitney concert in Slough, England, on this day. He announced the various acts from behind the stage curtain without the audience knowing it was him.
McCartney attended the concert because Peter And Gordon, one half of whom was Jane Asher's brother Peter, were one of the acts on the bill. In between the two houses, after the audience from the first show had departed, he played drums on stage.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Apple announces The Beatles on iTunes
- 2009: Paul McCartney awarded the third Gershwin Prize for Popular Song
- 1973: UK album release: Mind Games by John Lennon
- 1965: George Martin decides the running order for Rubber Soul
- 1964: Television: Top Of The Pops
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens Theatre, Bournemouth
- 1962: Radio: The Friday Spectacular
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1957: Live: Stanley Abattoir social club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.