Nowhere Boy is the feature film directorial debut for artist Sam Taylor Wood. It stars Aaron Johnson as Lennon, Anne-Marie Duff as Lennon’s mother Julia, and Kristin Scott Thomas as his aunt Mimi Smith.
The film deals with Lennon’s childhood and teenage years in Liverpool, including the formative years of The Quarrymen and The Beatles. It also stars Thomas Sangster as Paul McCartney and Sam Bell as George Harrison.
The film was premièred on 29 October at the London Film Festival, and is to play at the Turin Film Festival in November, before going on general release in the UK on 25 December.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Tower Theater, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina
- 2009: Paul McCartney reveals Good Evening New York City teaser video
- 2008: Beatles music to feature in forthcoming video game
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1963: Television: Drop In, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1963: Mixing: Money (That’s What I Want)
- 1962: Travel: Liverpool to Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1960: The Beatles agree to play the Top Ten Club
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.