The mix was made in a three-hour session beginning at 2.30pm, and was overseen by producer George Martin.
As so many overdubs had been added to the song, it was felt that further tape-to-tape copying would risk losing audio fidelity. To get around this, the stereo mix consisted of two separate mono mixes, one played through each left/right channel.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Tower Theater, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina
- 2009: Lennon biopic Nowhere Boy trailer released
- 2009: Paul McCartney reveals Good Evening New York City teaser video
- 2008: Beatles music to feature in forthcoming video game
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1963: Television: Drop In, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1962: Travel: Liverpool to Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1960: The Beatles agree to play the Top Ten Club
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.