Although the studio recording of ‘The Fool On The Hill’ was complete, there was no suitable film footage available for the song.
On this day Paul McCartney, Mal Evans and cameraman Aubrey Dewar flew to France to shoot a daydream sequence in various locations in Nice.
McCartney forgot his passport and money, but managed nonetheless to get through customs. “I told them, ‘You know who I am so why do you need to see a photograph of me in a passport?’,” he later explained.
No filming was done on this day. Instead, the party checked into a hotel and hired a taxi driver, who woke them at 3.30am the following morning.
Last updated: 22 October 2018
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Tower Theater, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina
- 2009: Lennon biopic Nowhere Boy trailer released
- 2009: Paul McCartney reveals Good Evening New York City teaser video
- 2008: Beatles music to feature in forthcoming video game
- 1964: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1963: Television: Drop In, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1963: Mixing: Money (That’s What I Want)
- 1962: Travel: Liverpool to Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1960: The Beatles agree to play the Top Ten Club
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.