This was George Harrison’s sixth and final night performing on the UK tour of Delaney & Bonnie, a husband and wife act from the US.
Harrison was there for five of the tour’s six dates, playing two shows each night. He appeared in Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool and Croydon. He didn’t perform at the Newcastle shows on 5 December, instead briefly leaving the tour to visit his unwell mother.
Several of the shows were also recorded for possible album release – the result was 1970’s Delaney & Bonnie & Friends On Tour With Eric Clapton. Harrison was credited as “Mysterioso”.
Harrison had previously performed at Croydon’s Fairfield Hall with The Beatles on 7 September 1963.
Last updated: 25 May 2015
Also on this day...
- 1969: Television: John Lennon and Yoko Ono on The Question Why
- 1967: The Apple Boutique opens
- 1965: Live: ABC Cinema, Manchester
- 1964: George Harrison’s Mornyork Ltd becomes Harrisongs Ltd
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Liverpool
- 1963: Live, television: It’s The Beatles
- 1963: Television: Juke Box Jury
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1957: Live: Wilson Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
I was there and didn’t realise George was on stage until the end when the band was introduced. Musically, not a patch on what he was doing earlier in the year with The Beatles, as we now see with the Get Back film…