This was George Harrison’s third night performing with Delaney & Bonnie, the husband and wife act then on a brief tour of the UK.
Harrison was there for five of the tour’s six dates, playing two shows each night. He appeared in Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool and Croydon. He didn’t perform at the Newcastle shows on 5 December, instead briefly leaving the tour to visit his unwell mother.
Several of the shows were also recorded for possible album release – the result was 1970’s Delaney & Bonnie & Friends On Tour With Eric Clapton. Harrison was credited as “Mysterioso”.
Harrison had previously performed at Sheffield’s City Hall with The Beatles on five occasions: 2 March 1963, 16 March 1963, 25 May 1963, 2 November 1963 and 9 November 1964.
Also on this day...
- 1995: UK single release: Free As A Bird
- 1972: US single release: Hi, Hi, Hi by Wings
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Item 1 and Item 2 by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1969: Television: 24 Hours: The World Of John And Yoko – day three
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Blue Turning Grey Over You by Ringo Starr
- 1968: George Harrison invites Hells Angels to Apple
- 1965: Live: City Hall, Newcastle
- 1964: UK album release: Beatles For Sale
- 1962: Television: Tuesday Rendezvous
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
I was there, and photographed George on stage.