On this day George Harrison circulated a memo at Apple to tell staff that he had invited a group of Hells Angels from California to stay at 3 Savile Row.
Hells Angels will be in London within the next week, on the way to straighten out Czechoslovakia. There will be twelve in number complete with black leather jackets and motor cycles. They will undoubtedly arrive at Apple and I have heard they may try to make full use of Apple’s facilities. They may look as though they are going to do you in but are very straight and do good things, so don’t fear them or up-tight them. Try to assist them without neglecting your Apple business and without letting them take control of Savile Row.
Harrison had met the Hells Angels while in California in October and November. He had been staying in Los Angeles while producing tracks for Jackie Lomax’s debut LP, Is This What You Want?. The Hells Angels did indeed stay, arriving later in December 1968.
Also on this day...
- 1972: US single release: Hi, Hi, Hi by Wings
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Item 1 and Item 2 by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1969: George Harrison live at City Hall, Sheffield with Delaney & Bonnie
- 1969: Television: 24 Hours: The World Of John And Yoko – day three
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Blue Turning Grey Over You by Ringo Starr
- 1965: Live: City Hall, Newcastle
- 1964: UK album release: Beatles For Sale
- 1962: Television: Tuesday Rendezvous
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.