These were The Beatles' final two shows at this venue, which was later renamed the Apollo. They had previously performed twice at the venue, on 20 November 1963 and 14 October 1964.
Manchester was covered in thick fog when The Beatles arrived, and they were late arriving at the venue. Backstage they were joined by Walter Shenson, who discussed ideas for their third film with the group.
The Beatles performed the same 11 songs which comprised their standard set throughout the final UK tour: I Feel Fine, She's A Woman, If I Needed Someone, Act Naturally, Nowhere Man, Baby's In Black, Help!, We Can Work It Out, Yesterday, Day Tripper and I'm Down.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Television: John Lennon and Yoko Ono on The Question Why
- 1969: George Harrison live at Fairfield Hall, Croydon with Delaney & Bonnie
- 1967: The Apple Boutique opens
- 1964: George Harrison’s Mornyork Ltd becomes Harrisongs Ltd
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Liverpool
- 1963: Live, television: It’s The Beatles
- 1963: Television: Juke Box Jury
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1957: Live: Wilson Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.