Studio One, Olympic Sound Studios, London
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Glyn Johns
It has been reported that Harrison later re-recorded his lead guitar part during the 15 August orchestral overdub session. However, a reduction mix known as take 37, made on 11 July 1969, contains Harrison’s solo. Since he did not record lead guitar for the song between 5 May and 16 July, it is most likely that the final solo was recorded during this session at Olympic.
The session lasted from 7.30pm to 4am the following morning. Something was then left alone until 11 July, and work wasn’t concluded until 15 August.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Omnilife, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 1997: UK album release: Flaming Pie by Paul McCartney
- 1972: UK single release: Mary Had A Little Lamb by Wings
- 1969: US single release: Get Back
- 1968: Mary Hopkin appears on Opportunity Knocks
- 1966: Recording: I’m Only Sleeping
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1958: John Lennon photographed in Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.