Although the studio was booked from 2.30pm-10pm, they eventually finished work at 2.24am the following morning. Eleven takes of the rhythm track, numbered 3-13, were recorded, the best of which was take 10. Onto this John Lennon overdubbed his lead vocals, with backing from Paul McCartney and George Harrison.
The song’s eventual ending, however, came from take six. The two elements were edited together on 12 May, when the mono mixes were made, and on 20 May for the stereo. Further mono mixes and edits for the Revolver song were made on 6 and 8 June.
Also on this day...
- 1982: Album release: Tug Of War by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Recording: Oh! Darling, Octopus’s Garden
- 1969: Mixing: John And Yoko
- 1967: Recording: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: Live: NME Poll-Winners’ All-Star Concert
- 1963: Live: Music Hall, Shrewsbury
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.