Of the songs recorded so far, it was decided that ‘Doctor Robert’, ‘I’m Only Sleeping’ and ‘And Your Bird Can Sing’ would make the cut. During this session, which began at 1.45pm and finished at 3.30pm, mono mixes of the songs were made.
The mixes of Doctor Robert and I’m Only Sleeping were each done in a single attempt. I’m Only Sleeping was more complicated, however, and involved different mixes being made from takes 10 and 6. These were edited together at the end of the session.
The mix of Doctor Robert was also edited slightly, as, incidentally, were the mono and stereo mixes made for Revolver.
Also on this day...
- 2020: Astrid Kirchherr dies
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Jacob Javits Center, New York City
- 1968: Lennon and McCartney meet Ron Kass of Apple US
- 1967: Recording, mixing: All Together Now
- 1963: Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.