The Beatles topped the bill at the New Musical Express' 1963-64 Annual Poll-Winners' All-Star Concert, playing before an audience of 10,000 people at the Empire Pool in Wembley, London.
The concert was filmed by ABC Television and was broadcast in two parts as Big Beat '64. The Beatles' performance was shown in part two, first shown on Sunday 10 May from 4.05-5.35pm. The broadcast also featured the group receiving their NME awards from actor Roger Moore.
The venue was known as the Empire Pool from its opening year of 1934 until 1978, when it was renamed Wembley Arena.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Recording: Oh! Darling, Octopus’s Garden
- 1969: Mixing: John And Yoko
- 1967: Recording: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Recording: And Your Bird Can Sing
- 1963: Live: Music Hall, Shrewsbury
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.