This was The Beatles’ 22nd of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Omnilife, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 1997: UK album release: Flaming Pie by Paul McCartney
- 1972: UK single release: Mary Had A Little Lamb by Wings
- 1969: Recording: Something
- 1969: US single release: Get Back
- 1968: Mary Hopkin appears on Opportunity Knocks
- 1966: Recording: I’m Only Sleeping
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1958: John Lennon photographed in Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.